Thursday, January 12, 2006

What I'm listening to this week.

You Need It - Anthology
Johnny Guitar Watson
Sanctuary Records Group

Here's another CD I snagged at Tower Records this last Christmas. I am a BIG Johnny "Guitar" Watson fan. I was actually looking for a compilation of his older stuff that might have "Cuttin' In" on it, a tune I used to sing with my old band Nightlife. I had no luck finding that tune, but found this compilation instead that features Watson's funky sides that were released in the '70s and '80s.

Funny - I was thinking about this later material of Watson's after watching the movie "Roll Bounce" with my kids over the holiday weekend (good show by the way- check out Charlie Murphy, the hilarious neighborhood garbage man). This movie featured many '70s tunes including Watson's "Superman Lover," which I had never heard before, but really enjoyed.

There are lots of great tunes on this inexpensive double CD set. Besides "Superman Lover," the hits "Ain't That A Bitch" and "A Real Mother For Ya" are also included on the first CD. I also enjoyed "It's About The Dollar Bill," "You Can Stay But The Noise Must Go," and "What The Hell Is This?" There is also an oddball version of "Gangster Of Love" that features a straight ahead shuffle beat and eliminates the break-time arrangement of the original tune.

The cool thing about these tunes is this: Watson may have reinvented himself as a funkmeister during this period but his great sense of humor is evident throughout, and his guitar playing, while not as raw as his earlier blues sides, is still smokin'! Hey, we even get some extensive liner notes with this collection for a change, so what's not to like - check it out!

No comments: