Thursday, May 03, 2007

Kim Field returns to the NW blues scene.

Full disclosure - I am currently doing the booking work for Kim Field & the Mighty Titans of Tone.

Long time Seattle blues harp player, singer, and songwriter Kim Field returned to the Northwest music scene with a bang last week at the Highway 99 Blues Club. His new band, Kim Field & the Mighty Titans of Tone, played smokin' sets of blues and R&B to a nearly full house of fans, on a Thursday "off" night.


Left to right: Billy Spaulding, Steve Yonck, Brady Millard-Kish, Kim Field, and Eric Daw

I knew that this band was going to sound good, but they sure surpassed my expectations, and those of plenty of other folks in the club too. The Titans have got a great lineup, including Steve "The Kid" Yonck and Eric Daw on guitars, Brady Millard-Kish on bass, and "Sweet" Billy Spaulding on drums. Eric and Billy also sing lead and backup vocals. Man, I don't remember the last time I saw three vocalists singing a tune in a Seattle blues band (mine included), but I sure enjoyed it.


Kim Field

Lee Oskar, the former War harp player (Lee now plays with The Lowrider Band) who also lives in the Seattle/Bellevue area, showed up later in the evening and was invited up to play with the Titans. More great music was created as both Kim and Lee played on the stage together. This worked out better than some other times when I have seen Lee sit in at the Highway 99 - usually the band has to stop their show to play some funk for him, but this time he played along on the band's tunes and it worked out fine.

Kim Field and Lee Oskar

Good stuff! You need to check out this great new band at the local clubs, including the Highway 99 again on May 24th and June 28th. Or, you can check out their schedule on their web page.

Note: All photos that appear in this article were created by Phil Chesnut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen 'em yet, but I know this is a great BLUES line-up and Kim is really one of the greatest blues musicians ever... and a nice guy, too! Eric and Steve are two of my favorite young BLUES guitarists... aw what the hell... two of my favorite BLUES guitarists PERIOD, in the region. What can I say about Billy. I love his drumming and intensity and he really is a sweet guy, ya know? I don't really know Brady yet, but judging by the company he is keeping, he's gotta be good. I need to get off of my lazy butt and get on up to Seattle (from Oly) to see this band! Or... maybe they will book a show at The Firecreek Alehouse in Lacey! T-Boy